Friday, February 12, 2010

Friday is a good day to be positive and Love what you have..

I have an amazing story, and I am hoping you will present it on your site because I too am sick of the negativity...there are many positive things happening!

To reiterate and add to our conversation, I am a native Houstonian who has worked in film and television for 25 years. I became widowed four years ago and my life turned upsidedown. My soul mate died suddenly and unexpectedly at age 43 after a 21-year marriage which threw my life into a tailspin. We had no children and most of my family predeceased my husband. I have no parents, no grandparents, no aunts or uncles (including their spouses) and one of my five cousins was shot and killed at age 6. I've experienced death from so many positions, and after losing my husband, it's a wonder that I didn't just lie down and call it quits. Instead, I acted on an intense desire to help those who have suffered personal loss.

I did a radio show on a Houston FM radio station early on about widowhood and last summer, I had the Mayor of Houston proclaim "Help a Widow Day." I was on Fox news and in The Leader newspaper encouraging everyone to help a widow without being asked.

I am now writing a blog for the Houston Chronicle called "Today's Widow." The comments I've been getting are overwhelming and confirm the need for this work. My blog is read by widowers, married people and singles along with widows, and it was hilarious to get a comment during the Super Bowl from a guy who wrote, "You are better than the Super Bowl." Isn't that the ultimate compliment from a man?

In addition to helping widows, my mission is to bring awareness regarding what happens when life ends and what we can all do to make things easier for those left behind. My approach is to use humor, where applicable, and encouragement. My blog article, "Bury me in stilettos" reiterates presenting a serious thought-provoking topic in a fun way.

I have gone on to win two national daytime Emmys since becoming widowed (I've attached a photo), so my message is one of empowerment through adversity. I advocate changing your life for the better when tragedy occurs rather than staying in bed on medication and giving up. I'm super passionate, I have tons of energy and my colorful 7-page resume includes radio DJ, TV personality, casting director and location scout/manager for film and television, motivational speaker, writer, paralegal, TV Producer and more. It's time for us to feel comfortable speaking of death and embrace it.

We spend so much time worrying about what to eat, what to wear and saving time that we forget that time will run out when we least expect it. Speaking of death should not be a taboo topic...it's all about how you approach it.

You can check out my blog by clicking the link below:

http://blogs.chron.com/todayswidow/

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin